Monday, April 6, 2009

Going once, going twice . . .

Sold. It took me a couple goes at this book to finally finish it. The beginning is interesting enough, I don't know why I kept forgetting about it. The middle is horrifically sad. She's sold off three different times. Passed off from her stepfather, bought by some crazy woman, sold to Uncle Husband and then bought off at the highest price yet in India. The prose are the perfect writing style for this kind of story. It was far from Memoirs of a Geisha, but that novel is for adults, this is for teens. And I have to say I would only let my oldest of teen daughters read it. 17-years at least. The content is just so heart wrenching. And the author doesn't shy away from the facts these Nepalese girls face. I wondered if the story really had much value for teens, and I came to conclude it does, but like I said -- only older ones who are almost ready to deal with the harsh world we live in.

I was so into Teen lit this time last year, but I'm just not as enthused about it lately. I love that it is quick, but the content is never top quality. That use to not bother me, but I guess it is starting to now. Nevertheless, I feel like I must keep devouring the books my students read. At least the ones I might consider "valuable" reads. And this is one of them.

No comments: