Monday, April 6, 2009

Classics Corner

So near the end of Anna Karenina I just had to find someone to discuss such a great work of art with. So I looked up groups on both Shelfari and Goodreads. As I read I enjoyed the Shelfari group better, but once I turned the last page the Goodreads discussion rocked my world. So I decided to join the group Constant Reader and committed to try and read all the classics this group brings to the table. Which meant I had two days to read this jewel, Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. The description sounded interesting. A man traveling in Europe gets caught up in an affair that results in a battle of identity. And I've always wanted to read Baldwin so I ordered it from the library. And I'm so glad I did. I'd have never read this book otherwise. And it is brilliant.

The reader quickly realizes the affair is a homosexual one. And I will admit I thought maybe I ought not to read the novel, but I decided to press on and vowed that if anything was explicit I'd put the book down and return it to the library. But I was pleasantly surprised. Baldwin takes us on this journey, where it doesn't even matter that Giovanni and David are both men. So much more about their relationship is complicated and we learn from all aspects of their time together. This doesn't mean the book isn't about the struggles of sexuality. It definitely is that. I guess I'm just trying to say that there is so much more depth to their relationship than just the complications brought on by them being same sex partners.

I really felt like I was able to understand the battle someone like David must go through. He really didn't want to accept the fact that he was gay. He found so much comfort and safety with his girlfriend and eventual fiance Hella. But I think even Hella knew he did not truly love her. But I also think David did not truly love Giovanni. How can you love someone when all your surroundings and even your inner voice is telling you not to. I guess that is why the two men spend so much time inside. The room.

I loved that the room metaphor is carried throughout the whole novel and used for nearly every character. Hella has her room and is even described as a room, one in which you were once familiar with but now that the lights are off you are stumbling around.

The writing really was beautiful. The themes were applicable to people of all sexual desires. And the characters created some very interesting conflicts. I thought it was very well done. It was only 160 or so pages. I was able to read it in two days (two sittings really). I definitely felt like it was worth it and am glad Classics Corner gave me the opportunity. Unfortunately I don't feel that I can run around recommending it to all my friends . . . many of them just aren't ready for that.

No comments: