Saturday, February 21, 2009

Another WWII Book

Surprise Ending! The whole book moves kind of slow and I kept thinking when will it hit the climax? Well there are 120 pages and the climax is around 117. So the falling action and resolution are pretty quick. Actually, there isn't much of a resolution. I guess it is all inferred. But even so I don't know how much Bruno's family learned about the cruelty of "Out-With" or Auschwitz, as I think that is where they actually were.

I wish I could see a story like this in a nice little vision like John Boyle did. I love how innocent he made Bruno. And there were times you didn't want to like Bruno, but you just realize he really has no idea what his friend Shmuel is going through. I wonder if parents at the time really didn't tell there children what was going on at the concentration camps. Even when they lived so close. I guess I buy that concept of the book. Because as much as We Were Not Alone mentions the fear of being sent to the camps, you get the feeling the family doesn't really know what is really so bad about the camps. Even Shmuel doesn't seem to realize that his father and grandfather are dead when they go missing.

It's a 3.5er. I'd recommend it to just about anyone. Easy read. Compelling story. Great for an adult or a teen.

No comments: