Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I love this one!

I forgot how great this book is. I love teaching it to my students. It brings up so many great issues. Like, are you who you hang out with, is it ever okay to murder someone, should you only date 'your own kind,' why do some people show more emotions, do all teens have the same issues? And so many more! We've had great discussions and I get to play devil's advocate in each class.

Even better than that. My students are reading! They love it. We're going to have to continue it after spring break and I don't even think they will complain. It's a miracle. I really think there should be a list of books all teenagers should HAVE TO READ. And this should be one of the three. The other two are debatable, depending on race, religion, gender, blah blah blah. But this one, it doesn't matter what color, age, sex, faith, or class you are. This is a must read. And you will connect. You will love it. It will make you think. It does have literary value (allusions, alliteration, metaphor, etc).

And the best part . . .

written by a 16-year-old girl.

No comments: