Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's true?

So it wasn't until I finished this book that I realized it is a true story. How dumb am I? I have to admit, that makes it a little better. I liked how it kept having flashbacks to Morrie's life. But I kept thinking, "these life lessons could be a little better written." But now I realize he wrote them for what they were, as Morrie taught them to him. So I guess it is all more touching than I realized while reading it.

Definitely an easy read, 100 pages a day, two days total. But easy read usually means not very well written. I like books that make me read every word. This one was not one of those. I'd only recommend it to "pop culture" readers. Not serious readers.

Oh, one technique I really liked is how the author kept telling what was in the news the weeks he went to visit Morrie. It really helped put the world into perspective. It's like, wow my friend is happily dying from Louis Gherg disease and some crazy woman killed her children cause the world's an evil place. Or how about the guys who threw concrete off a bridge and killed a young girl. Terrible. Glad there are people like Morrie.

1 comment:

Saving Singapore said...

I miss reading some books! Haha.. but gospel study is amazing! How is Sister Bassett doing?