Monday, October 13, 2008

Life of Pi

It took me a while to finish this one. The argument for zoos at the beginning of the novel really drew me in. I found the narrator to be very thought provoking and reliable. The idea of living at sea with a 450 pound Bengal tiger wasn't hard for me to believe. Because I trusted the narrator. But then he goes blind, bumps into a french man in the middle of the Pacific and later finds a floating algae island. These two events turned the narrator into a very unreliable fellow. So I'm not surprised the two investigators at the end also find his story of survival hard to believe. I guess that's what makes it such a great work of fiction.

Interesting themes were the role of religion in Pi's life. I especially liked when the leaders of his three studied religions (Christianity, Islam and Hinduism) all told him he couldn't believe in all three. That he had to pick. Even then, Pi didn't choose one. And interesting that Pi is infinite (mathematically speaking) himself. But I didn't really get the "And so it is with God" quote at the end, when the two investigators tell him they like the story with animals better. I really doubt that the other story is what actually happened, and wouldn't have even thought that plausible if it weren't for the reading guide questions.

Overall I liked it, even though it took me a long time to get through. I don't think I'll ever bother to read it again. But I'd recommend it to some adolescent boy. Or a real serious fiction/adventure book lover.

2 comments:

Liz Szilagyi said...

Thank you good reads. I now get "And so it goes with God." The people who believe the animal story believe in God (the two investigators), and the people who believe in the human story are atheist. At least that is one theory. No wonder I believe the animal story.

Liz Szilagyi said...

Actually, it's not the people who believe, it's the people who "prefer" the animal story. Which is likely everyone, which only compliments the argument that this is a book that will make everyone believe in God.