Sunday, September 28, 2008

Caved

So I'm torn. It only took 400 pages for it to get exciting. But even before that I couldn't put it down for some reason. I think it was just because it's so easy to read. The writing definitely wasn't great. I liked this one part on page 30(?) Shoot I can't find it. I thought I took note of the page so I could quote it. She describes the scenery of Phoenix, AZ. And of course I just grew melancholy for my lovely desert home. I was impressed with the use of big words. Glad to see it in a YA novel. The two main characters were well developed but everyone else was truly flat.

In the middle of the novel I was secretly hoping Edward would just give in and eat her, so it would all be over with. I thought that would be real comical. But I knew it wouldn't happen. Bet it does on the movie that makes fun of it. I'm curious to see how the series ends but I really don't want to read the other books. Maybe if I wait a month or two I'll change my mind.

I confess I didn't read a lot of it. I skimmed through parts where there was no dialog. You could pretty much keep up with the whole story if you just read everything in quotes. Which is what I did. Like I said at the beginning of this post, it did become thrilling around page 400. I was glad to finally see something actually happening.

Parts of the love story was LA-HAME! But in the end I was a little dreamy for Edward, just like everyone said I would be. But I definitely don't think I'll ever become obsessed with him like so many women are. I just didn't see what was so great about him. Ben's better.

Wish there had been more symbols or metaphors. There may have been and I just missed them. I tend to do that. Well, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book. Since I know so many of my blogging buddies have read it.

4 comments:

Casie said...

I agree with some parts of your review. Josh and I got so hooked on the story and by like chapter 12 I said, "Isn't it so weird how we can't put this book down, but yet nothing has happened yet?" We sort of feel that way a lot of the time, but we are still enthralled in the concept of the story. I think we just needed some easy entertainment that wasn't just glaring at the TV and this way we are spending some "quality" time together!

Alison said...

YOU ARE A TOTAL BOOK SNOB!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, for those of us who don't have a Ben, Edward is totally dreamy! I read all four books in a week (I read 3 and 4 in two days)they are so good. And at no time did I think that Edward should eat Bella. :) You have to finish them all so we can talk about them. I got Linda hooked on them too but she's only on book three.

Heidi said...

I have held off saying anything about this book, because I value my friends more than my opinion, but I think I have come up with a way to say what I think without losing any friends (I hope!) I have not read these books, but I have talked about it with so many people and I consistently get the response that "it's not great writing, and really nothing happens, but..." And, what I say is, Why do we continue to support mediocrity? Why don't we put our energy towards something that provokes us to be better people and help others to become better people rather than spend time on things that provoke the reverse? It doesn't seem to me that Stephanie Meier (sp?) has produced something that will help us to be better (especially when considering her religious background!) and that is hard for me to swallow. BUT, that being said, I still respect the people who choose to read these books and who like them because I know I do things that people think, "Whaahh?..." But, that is just my food for thought... (please still be my friend, yo!) :)