Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Crap, now I'm hooked.

I wasn't sure if I was going to read the rest of the series after I finished the first one. But I already had this on my library wait list, so I picked it up Monday around noon and finished it around 11:00pm. I am officially hooked. The plot went places I totally didn't expect. I thought it would probably be a lot like the first one, cause I've heard Harry Potter is that way. But I was surprised by how different this book was. It was SO MUCH BETTER! And now I have to finish the series. Hopefully by the end of this week.

I love Bella's friendship with Jacob. I think if I were her I'd have to pick him. I feel like it's passion and romance v pleasure and friendship. And I would have to choose the later. I like that a good half of the book is pretty "normal." No werewolves or vampires. I hate how she treats Jacob at the end. I can't believe he would put up with it. But I guess we've probably all been in that kind of relationship before - so in love you put yourself through hell for the other person.

I felt like this book was much better written as well. I noticed some metaphors. Obvious ones like the comparison to Romeo and Juliet. I liked that this was an extended metaphor, present throughout the whole novel. But there were even smaller, more simple metaphors that just added to the writing. But I will admit I still have the tendency to only read the quotes. I don't know what it is about her descriptions of setting and Bella's thoughts that just turns me away.

Oh, one thing that really bugged me. Bella noticed Carlisle's car at her house, but Alice flew there. I can't believe Meyer or any of her editors didn't notice that. Especially since both the car and the flight were mentioned several times. One or the other people! She couldn't both fly and drive.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I just barely unfinished the draft of Midnight Sun on Stephenie Meyer's website and I really liked it. You should check it out when you have a minute.In case you had't heard, the draft was leaked somehow and so she ended up posting it online....