Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A lot of thoughts on this one


I've always been really interested in the treatment of mental health patients. I have my reasons. I would even say that's why I selected Psychology as a minor. I've just always believed mental health is a real issue that needs more attention. So this book fascinated me. It brought out a lot of different emotions. First, it's hilarious. Then it's a bit dry and confusing. Next, it intrigues you. And finally it shocks you.

The theme of laughter really intrigued me. The idea that these hospital patients lost the ability to laugh was really interesting. I wonder what it would take to loose that. A lot of suffering and monotony. It was very rewarding to watch the men on the ward finally work up the gall to laugh at themselves. You just had to love McMurphy for that.

I found the characters in this novel fascinating. Nurse Ratched is such an evil witch. And I just know there are people in the medical field that are like this. There are people in all fields like this. So damaging and evil. Bromden, the narrator is also really interesting. I love that he acts deaf and dumb through the first half of the novel. And the night he finally begins to talk is wonderful. I love that he has to practice talking again. Then of course there's the McMurphy -- who I would claim didn't really need to be on the ward. I kept waiting for his great escape, but if I told you how he eventually got out I would ruin the shocking part of the novel.

Overall it is great book. But I don't know that it will end up on my list of the top 50. We'll see how the next 36 go. I'm curious to see who makes the cut.

No comments: