Friday, May 30, 2008

A True Classic

It seems likes its been a long time since I posted on this blog. I guess that's because I stopped reading my students' books and returned to the classics. I love the classics, and I especially love Dickens. I think he is the greatest writer of all time. Though I have to admit the beginning of this novel was a bit much for me. There were a couple of chapters that just blew me away with their beautiful literacy, but all the characters felt rushed and shallow. Except the Defarges. At all times I disliked Madame Defarge. She was so dark and evil. Such a contrast form some of the other characters. Doctor Manette seemed to be the only complex character at the beginning. Always returning to his work as a shoemaker. But by the end Mr Carton was definitely complex. Such a humble and heroic figure. I could not beleive what he did for Charles Darnay. I'd tell you but that would spoil it for you. Let's just say he made a huge sacrifice, with dignity.

There were a couple chapters that really painted a picture of the darkness of the revolution. People on the streets were gulping up spilled wine, as if it was their only hope of survival. An arrogant aristocrat runs down children on the streets of Paris with his carriage. That was so shocking. And as Ben said, probably true to the era. I just can't blieve that the world was in such a state just several hundred years ago. We've come a long way. But our troubles now are so different. We still have Defarges, Marquis and Manettes and Cartons. Heroes and heroines of all sizes.

I didn't think this book was as great as Bleak House. But that may be because I read Bleak House with a brilliant professor and I read this all on my own. I do look forward to more of Dickens classics. Brilliant man, absolutely brilliant.


No comments: