Saturday, April 5, 2008

Another Book bites the dust


I just finished the Alchemist. I am reading it for my relief society reading group. I found it very interesting, and I'm usually not for "magical" books. I don't think it is as great as "Le Petite Prince" but I can see why it is an international classic. I really liked the recurring thought that everything happens for a reason. And that everything happens at the right time for the right reason. I remember trying to decide if I was going to serve an LDS mission or not. Since I was a wee little girl I had wanted to go, but when the timing came and I turned 21 I just didn't feel it. After about four months of utter stress and pleading prayers I finally felt it was right to go. I learned that timing is everything. I had decided to go right at 21 when it didn't feel right I wouldn't have been companions with Aubri in the MTC. Nor would I have met the wonderful elders we studied with. I may not have served in Kuching with Sister Weldon, and we may not have taught Sister Ivy. That would have been tragic. More importantly I may have missed out on that third year of college, which was the most fun I've ever had away from home (but still in Utah).

Another important message the young boy in the Alchemist learns is that sometimes you have to travel an extensive journey just to find a treasure in the place from where you came. But the journey is more than worth it. What is learned in ones travels is a treasure of it's own. This book rings very true to the beauty and pleasure of life. And I hope one day to realize my own personal legend. I have a hunch at what it might be. I just need to work for it, which is usually what stops us from achieve our legend. I recommend this book to anyone who loves to think about life.

No comments: