Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Honey's Favorite


1984 is Ben's favorite book, and I finally read it. Bonus points: it's the first of my "greatest 50" list. It feels like such an accomplishment. I have a lot of thoughts on this book. I love a thought provoking book. First let me quote "It is impossible to found a civilization on fear and hatred and cruelty. It would never endure."

"Why not.

"...It would commit suicide," (pg 221)

"Nonsense. You are under the impression that hatred is more exhausting than love. Why should it be? And if it were, what difference would that make?"

I wonder if that civilization has actually endured. I look at dictatorships in Africa, China's dark history, terror in South East Asia and I have to wonder if civilizations based on fear, hatred, and cruelty exist fluently in our world. Unfortunately I think fear is the root of all hatred, and the two are common denominators in all world wars, and even some countries starvation crisis. What else would drive a government to slave labor children? Fear and hatred. What else would cause thoughts of racism in a young American's mind? Fear and cruelty. Now the question is, how do we purge the world of these three evils? Is that possible?

Another thought that struck me as I neared the end of this book was the idea of betrayal. Winston struggles through starvation and brutal beatings while refusing to betray Julia. But in the end he collapses. When the fear of his life is thrown before him, he chooses to throw Julia infront of the rats. And likewise she confesses that "Sometimes they threaten you with something-something you can't stand up to, can't even think about. And then you say, 'Don't do it to me, do it somebody else, do it to so-and -so. . .you want it to happen to the other person. You don't give a damn what they suffer. All you care about is yourself," (pg 240). This may be true for most people. It may even be true for me, I've never been in such a situation. I hope I would have the courage to just die for someone I loved, but I don't really know that I would. However, I do know that the Savior did. When faced with the something most of us couldn't stand up to, He suffered for us. When faced with the cruelest sins of the world, He took them upon himself. When faced with the fear, hate and cruelty of the world, He suffered for us all. He is amazing. He is my Savior and my Friend.

Now, it takes a great book to exemplify the magnitude of the Saviors love. And for that reason, my Honey's favorite is also one of mine. Orwell is brilliant.

3 comments:

Dave and Marie said...

o.k. so Ididn't read the last large paragraph because you were talking about what I haven't come to. But, I'm really glad you like the book. I'm mearly into it and I've a hard time being interested. I feel like It parallels fahrenheit 451 in the sense of doom on earth and the future is inevitably going to be horrible. It does evoke one to search out what they can do to help humanity. But, I also see that there is so many levels of love in the world, even in those horrible situations. I can't imagine everything because you and I alike have been so blessed in out lives, with the gospel, the united states, our families and mostly oppertunity. But, here is the answer to your question, "Can we get rid of it?" No, and although I can not say things delicately, I can just say we are here to be educated, to make the decision between right and wrong and we are here to lead ourselves and all we can back to Christ. I know that I am just discussing mostly to discuss what I feel and I think you will are o.k. with me using your blog to do it, but I am scared and frightened by all the horrible and cruel things that happen all too often and honestly should never happen, but if we lived in a perfect world Liz, who's world would it be? I come to this often when I am struggling with the way life is and makeing decisions, I just want to throw my hands up in the air and say, I wish it was all perfect, but guess what, that is too close to Lucifer's plan. It's scary to see it that way, but the presence of evil gives us a chance to decide against it, and help to evacuate it. And honestly, there is love in everyone's life, to some degree. You know that more than me, even in third world countries where running water is thought of as astonishing, there is still love between a mother, father, and child. Even when there are families where children suffer, they still have the love of God, they may not see it but something in them is still elect and that is what it is. Anywho, I am trying to get into this book. I have a hard time when things are so choppy and scattered and blaa I'm just to where W. just wrote in his Journal, not far in. I also think the world won't become that, there is too much good in people and honestly too many good people in the world who teach their children to be good people.

Dave and Marie said...

p.s. that was a long comment

Dave and Marie said...

o.k. Liz, I might as well save this conversation for our next visit, but all I have to say is, you're going to have to tell me all the reasons why Orwell is brilliant to help me level a little with you on this. I see all the hidden innuendos, I see all of the political and human race statements, but still I see so much more rubbish than good ever was evoked in me while reading this book. And, I have to give you some credit, because I felt committed to the list. I honestly would have ripped that book up several times. It became a task for me to finish it, I hated that book. Why? Because of the horribleness of it. I just couldn't even read about it. And I agree with your quote you wrote about human existence. I so don't think human nature is really that bad. Not to this extent, and yes I do like how Orwell paralleled Christ to Julia, at least in the last moment in the Ministry of Love, and it is powerful to think that Christ will and does save us from Satan who;s plan I would say would be a parallel to this 1984 world created in the book. Any who, let's have a good chat about it next visit, and I really want to find out why it's Ben's favorite book.