Friday, March 14, 2008

Whirligig


I've been reading a lot of young adult lit lately, makes sense since I'm a High School English teacher. I recently finished Whirligig; it was pret
ty good, not the best, but good. I really liked the theme of penance running through the novel. I do believe that is something teenagers need to understand. There is forgiveness for our mistakes, no matter how great they are. Most of the time the challenging part is forgiving ourselves. Others are there to help with that, just as the artist helps Brent see the good in himself at the end of his cross country journey.

As I watch my students I just pray they could see the good in themselves. I don't think any of us realize our own greatness. And sometimes it does take a journey, or a sacrifice of some sorts, to truly forgive ourselves and love again.

No comments: