Wednesday, March 12, 2008

50 greatest books of all time

1. 1984 George Orwell
2. Invisible Man Ralph Ellison
3. Middle March George Elliot
4. Great Expectations Charles Dickens
5. Great Gatsby F Scott Fitzergald
6. Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte
7. Ulysess James Joyce
8. One Hundred Years of Solitude Gabriel Marquiez Garcia
9. Love in the Time of Cholera Gabriel Marquiez Garcia
10. Don Quixote Miguel De Cerantes
11. Absalom Absalom William Faulkner
12. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain
13. Crime and Punishment Fyodor M Dostoyevsky
14. War and Peace Leo Tolstoy
15. Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
16. The Idiot Fyodor M Dostoyevsky
17. The Sound and The Fury William Faulkner
18. The Portrait of a Lady Henry James
19. To the Lighthouse Virginia Wolf
20. Bleak House Charles Dickens
21. Vanity Fair William Makepeace Thackeray
22. Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger
23. Nostromo Joseph Conrad
24. Tess of the d’Urvervilles Thomas Hard
25. The Scarlet Letter Nathaniel Hawthorme
26. A Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens
27. Frankenstein Mary Shelley
28. Animal Farm George Orwell
29. Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte
30. The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
31. The Old Man and the Sea Ernest Hemingway
32. The Trial Franz Kafka
33. The Red and the Black Standhal
34. Lotlita Vladimir Nabokov
35. The Ambassadors Henry James
36. Beloved Toni Morrison
37. Emma Jane Austen
38. Moby Dick Herman Mellville
39. The Golden Notebook Dois Lessing
40. The Tale of Genji Shikibu Muraskai
41. Things Fall Apart Chinua Achebe
42. Les Miseralbes Victor Hugo
43. Madame Bovary Gustave Flaubert
44. Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy
45. Fathers and Sons Ivan Turgenev
46. Dead Souls Nikolai Gogol
47. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest Ken Kesey
48. Oliver Twisr Charles Dickens
49. Uncle Tom’s Cabin Harriet Becher Stowe
50. Tilogoy: Molloy Malone Dies, The Unnamable Samuel Beckett
51. The Sun Also Rises Ernest Hemingway
52. Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad
53. The Man Without Qualiies Robert Musil
54. On the Road Jack Kerouac
55. Honorable Mention (Books I’ve already read that were on at least one list, but I think they should be on the list) A Brave New World Aldous Huxley, My Antonia Willa Cather, Lord of the Flies William Golding, Kite Runner Kaleid Houssien, Poisonwood Bible Barbra Kingsolver, To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee, and Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just read 1984 it's the best book EVER!

Dave and Marie said...

lol I love Ben's comment. And I lvoe that you have a whole blog dedicated to this. I've only read 9 of the list. but hey that is o.k. I've got spunk, I'll catch up ;) I didn't know you hadn't read Anna Karinna. (if that is how you spell he rlast name) I'm really interested in the author. He's phylisophical right? Anywho, I hope you don't mind, I figured some people like to exercise together, some people like to eat together, and maybe you like to read together. If not, and honestly just tell me, I've got a great list from you. ;) p.s. I'm excited about the move on with the girls coming to visit.

Unknown said...

I love the idea of this blog! I'm always looking for more book suggestions.