Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grab you into your nightmares


First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers


The title alone is gripping "First They Killed My Father."  This book made it's way on to our student's summer reading list.  After I read it I was surprised we would do such a thing.  But my middle schoolers never cease to amaze me.  They talked about this book throughout the whole school year.  Ung's tale clearly registered with them.

My favorite part in reading the book wasn't really the book at all.  I brought the book home with me to UT while I was reading it and my dad and I had a great conversation about the story.  He quietly went into his bedroom and returned with his journal.  He then read me an entry from the very early 80s.  The entry summarized and quoted the letter my parents were given when they took in their foster child, Rhy Mam.  I never knew the boy in my early family pictures lived Ung's story.  As I sat on my parents sofa I couldn't help but think Rhy could have been Loung's little sister . . . only Rhy lived.  He escaped.  Fled up a hillside while the Khmer Rouge gunned down his mother.  And then he landed in the bedroom next to mine, half way around the world.

Ung's story is definitely one worth reading.  She captures the thought process of a child well.  I can't imagine having hers as a childhood to relive.  It would be a haunting nightmare.  Yet somehow she has managed to do so much good with what she was left.  I think the moment of "revenge" on the Khmer Rouge soldier was a big moment for her.  She shows us that even after all their suffering, turning the other cheek may truly be the best remedy.  

No comments: