Saturday, January 17, 2009

What is heaven like?

Since I've been reading Emma and The Secret Life of Bees since 2008, I didn't think the first book I'd finish in 09 would be this one. But I guess that is what happens when you borrow a book and have only a few days before you have to give it back. I'm excited to discuss it at book club, especially since it is an LDS book club. I'm impressed Kemp would write in such detail about the topic, very bold. There were definitely aspects that made me think "yup, that's what the after life is like," but Stan . . . his whole character was a little hard for me to swallow. I don't think that is what He is like. But I guess that is why it is fiction. I did enjoy the love story between Tom and April. And their boy Josh was sure a cute kid. And I liked the theme that the ultimate test is how much you love your loved ones and how willing you are to sacrifice your happiness for them. But the whole idea that I love Ben more than my soul is a bit much for me. I mean, I love him, but more than my own soul . . .? I do agree with the other theme though, that it is our responsibility to assist our family members in earning eternal glory.

Well, I'll let you know how the book club goes. Oh, and this reminded me of Life of Pi. Totally surprising ending, really gets you thinking.

No comments: