Monday, January 26, 2009

Emma, the original Bella

It took me a while to get through this one, and I'm not sure why. Generally speaking, I liked it. I just kept reading so many other books while I was trying to get through this one. Austen's writing is always wonderful. But Emma herself, not so enjoyable. B-R-A-T. I've never met a "heroine" who was so selfish . . . wait, wait, Emma is the original Bella! All the boys like her and I just can't figure out why. She thinks she is better than almost all the women in the story. Which, considering the time, there was quiet a caste system. And that is one of the things that really annoys me about this book. Harriet, her sweet friend who never does anything wrong, other than heed Emma's advice, finally gets her happy ending, no thanks to Emma. And now the two of them can't be friends. Even though their husbands associate with one another through business and the two of them have spent most the novel together. But Harriet married into her social status, and Emma into hers and now they have to quit socializing together. That is so bizarre to me. I just don't understand the time period or their way of thinking.

For example, if I had lived back then I think I would have ended up married to Eric Hintze in the 6th grade. Because the first time a boy ever tells you he has feelings for you, the next thing you discuss is when you are going to get married. It's so crazy to me. You can flirt and associate publicly with any and as many boys as you desire. But once you speak one on one with a male it's over. He is inevitably going to propose to you.

I felt like Austen started the book off with too many characters. There was so much to keep track of. And I wasn't even sure why half of them were of any importance to the novel. But in the end I guess they all come together nicely and each has it's purpose. Austen is really good at making that one character you just laugh at every time they speak, cause they are so ridiculous and . . . you know someone just like them. Oh Mrs Elton.

Most likely, this one won't end up on my best 50 books ever list. Maybe it would make the 100, but not 50. I'm not opposed to having Austen on their twice, just not with this one.

No comments: