Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wrapping up the series


I finished my last Nikoline book today. I'm sad it is over. They were so fun to read. I liked this one a lot. As you can tell from the title it is about Lena's career as a teacher. But what I enjoyed must was the love story. Lena battles back and forth between two men, Dick and Ray. I liked Ray a little better even though she seemed more herself around Dick. In the end they both propose (Ray early on in the book before he leaves on a five year mission to Hawaii and Dick near the books end before he leaves for Chicago). Well, when Dick proposes he mentions getting married at city hall. To which Lena realizes he doesn't really have a testimony in the gospel. She tells him she doesn't know how their marriage will work if they can't even agree on their wedding. She then realizes she'd rather be with Ray. And a couple months later he mentions his earlier proposal is still a good one. It was such a cute love story, I shouted out loud when they finally ended up together.

It's funny how different Nikoline's and my teaching careers are. She was roughly 17 when she was given a "frontier" school in what I think must be Spanish Fork whereabouts. She lived with a family that sent two children to her school. Of course it was a one roomer with grades 1 through 8 and ages about six through sixteen. How would it be!?!? But it was fun to read about her journey as a school ma'm.

It was fun to read about her little brother Peter, who I'm pretty sure is my great grandpa. He was quite the teaser when they roomed together at BYU, or the Academy. Like I said, I'm sad the series is over. They were fun to read and learn about my heritage. It was also fun to watch how women's rights were unfolding and Utah gained statehood. A real treasure

No comments: