Monday, August 18, 2008

Authors of my 50 greatst novels

So I've been thinking a lot about how most the authors on my list of 50 greatest authors are native English speakers and it really disturbs me. So I've set out to read a lot more African novels. I looked for Asian ones but it was kind of hard. You might say it bias just cause I speak English but I figure any work of literature that is really considered great would have been translated into English. Which, about 12 of the authors are from countries where the most spoken language is not English, so I'm guessing those books were translated. Anyway, to let you know what the list looks like . . .
There are 14 British authors with 18 books
12 American authors with 14 books, two of which are African American
1 Columbian (the only S. American) with 2 books
2 Irish
1 Spanish
4 Russians, unless you count Ukraine, then there is 5, with 7 books
1 German
3 French
1 Japanese
1 Austrian

So there you have it, the many countries of my list. The list I come up with should be a lot more diverse. Keep your fingers crossed that I can finish all my reading by age 35. Maybe I'll give myself 5 years of "other country reading" and wait to publish my list at 40.

No comments: