Saturday, February 13, 2010

It's been so long

I've only read one YA novel since Breaking Dawn last year. I think that says something about that series. Anyway, it's nice to finally be back into a genre I love. This was a good one to break me back in. The whole communist movement in China truly fascinates me. I feel like this is a good introductory course for teens. I would definitely want my child to read it, I'd say at about 6th grade.

Basically, Ying watches as her country destroys the brilliance her parents have worked so hard to obtain. That is what is so fascinating to me. How can a country purposefully attack all the educated members of society? Do you not see how self destructive that is? Making people equal isn't about making the upper class lower, it's about bringing the lower classes up. Seriously, Mao was intentionally destroying a country of 1 billion people. And the rest of the world just sat back and ignored it.

Fascinating.

No comments: