Sunday, January 3, 2010

End of the Game

Ender's Game took me way to long to get through. I started it this summer by the pool, and just finished it at the new year. I just didn't see anything valuable or exciting at the beginning, but once I got to about page 70 I was at least curious to know how it ended.

Why though?
1st - I knew Ender would some how win
2nd - I figured the racism wouldn't let up and it was super annoying me
3rd - I don't really like Sci Fi
4th - I hear Card is a homosexual hater, go figure since his book talks about naked boys every ten pages. Really, I'd guess he was gay if I didn't know better. So the homophobia totally makes sense.

There is a religious plug, but it connects in no way to the LDS Church. I knew a boy who served in Card's ward while on a mission and he said he was "disappointed."

I'd imagine Card is a weirdo, super conservative, recluse. I wish he'd go back and take out the racism (as it adds nothing to the book) and fix the typos and TERRIBLE grammar. And as others say, he spends a ton of time on the middle portion of the story and not enough on the ending. Just felt a little backwards. Plus, the ending ending isn't really needed at all. I felt very much like he was just setting up the story for a series. Which is lame.

Okay, enough complaining. I still manage to give it a couple stars. It wasn't like I wish I'd never read it, I'd just never read it again, nor will I ever recommend it to someone (or tell my friends he is LDS).

No comments: