Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Not as good the second time


I didn't like fires in the bathroom at the middle school near as much as I did at the high school. Does that mean kids won't light fires in the bathroom of the middle school I am transferring to? Cause they tore them up at Dunbar!

Reading this book really just reminded me of how little control I had in my classroom this past year. Not really all my classes, mostly just my 1st period. Which is strange considering they were probably the best behaved kids I had, and super smart. There was just something about how chatty they were! It irked me. So now I'm almost even more nervous, cause I realize the students at Deal are going to be super super smart and also well behaved. But Linda seems to think I'll soar at Deal, and she's never steered me wrong.

Anyway, more about the book and less about me. Though that may be hard to do considering the whole time I read this book I thought about myself in those middle years. I really remember close to nothing about the educational aspect of middle school, and judging by the responses in the book I think that is totally normal.

Now I feel even more challenged to create exciting and eager projects with active lesson plans built around them. I want to follow unit guides designed with standards more than usual, while actually tricking my students into mastering those standards. I want to maintain such great control with little classroom routine, as to strengthen the element of surprise in my classroom. To keep kids eager to come through my doors each day.

Other than that, there is little I learned from these students. Their advice was contradictory and confusing; it felt like reading a very unreliable narrator. Makes sense though if you think about it.

No comments: