Thursday, December 18, 2008

12 months of travel . . . 12 months to read.

It took like a full year to read through this novel but I finally finished it. I don't really remember the "Eat" part since I read it last February. But I do remember thinking, how awesome would it be to just vacation for four months in Italy, and get paid for it, just cause you are a good writer. That is the dream folks. Now, "Pray" was super annoying. I'm actually really surprised I kept reading the book. I was like, GET OVER YOURSELF! This portion of the book really made me never ever want to take up the practice of yoga or meditation. Yuck.

But then she takes us to Indonesia and I just can't put the book down. Memories of my Malaysia just come swarming back. I understand everything she is talking about. Motorcycles everywhere, with full families of 5 clinging on to each other as they swerve through the streets. There's the old Bali man who isn't sure if he's 65 or 105, cause who really knows when they were born? There's the family she wants to build a house for, so she raises the money and then the woman tries to swindle her out of more money. She struggles with the stereotypes that come with the citizens of third world countries, because she sees the beauty in each and every one of them. But the truth is, some of these traits just come from the basic need to survive in a world where your dollar can crash in minutes and corruption is the norm.

Overall, I guess I'll admit I liked the book. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. So don't go out and buy yourself a copy. But if you want to borrow mine I'll let you have it.

No comments: