Saturday, June 21, 2008

Brilliantly Confusing

So I've come to conclude Toni Morrison is a little over my head. I read one of her books in a class at USU and I loved it, but I felt like I only got through it because I was reading it with a brilliant professor and a small group of students. Reading Beloved I was all on my own. Well, me and sparknotes.com. I think she is a very talented author, with a glorious collection of novels, short stories, and poems. I feel I have to expose my students to this gifted, modern day miracle of a writer, so we read her short story Rectatif. And they love it. And with a little help from me they really understood it. But I really was a little lost on this one. Thankfully, one of my colleagues saw me reading it, she is a middle aged black woman, and she too said Morrison is over her head. So I guess I'm not alone on this one.

I will definitely put Morrison on my list of top 50 books (when I finish this list I've created I plan to make up my own). But I think I will have to go with Paradise even though Beloved is suppose to be her greatest work. I just believe Morrison is most well known for her controversial depictions of race and Beloved didn't have as much as that. There was definitely an identity struggle happening among the ex-slaves. Which I think was probably pretty accurate of the time. It would be hard to figure out who you were if you were raised as a piece of property.

The story isn't really about that though. It's just one of the motifs running through the novel. It's really about a woman who kills her daughter, Beloved, because she thinks she will be safer dead - away from the grasp of White men. Well, Beloved comes back to haunt her mother. Causing her older brothers and her mothers boyfriend all to run away. The character who stays is her little sister Denver. I love this character. I don't think Denver got the credit she deserves. She was a very intriguing character. Maybe when I read it a second time (if I ever do) I'll understand it a little better.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

you should read "Jazz". I read that one in college, and though it was a bit sinister, I really liked it. She has a cool thread through the novel that depicts the relationship between the reader and the book like that of lovers. There are some racey parts, but nothing you didn't run into in college.
She's over my head too, though. I'm with you on the idea that a brilliant professor must be present to begin to comprehend it. I felt that way about "Invisible Man" by Emerson. Loved the book, but I would've been completely lost if it weren't for my professor.